Thursday, December 2, 2010

Volunteering

“An action is a thought made manifest”

Lately I’ve been feasting on Paulo Coelho’s book “Like the Flowing River.”
And I got that line from there, fits this wonderful action I’ve taken.

I’m seeing myself doing volunteer work in whatever ways I can help people. I’m even set to be a volunteer as my ultimate career…is it contradictory? Ok, not my career but my calling in this earth. And I’m so glad I had an on the job training last 20 November 2010 when a girl by the name of Kate Quillin offered a voluntary job for IRRI through the Public Relation’s office of Tita Sylvia Avance. We had briefing prior to the event.

The event is entitled “Children’s Rights Festival”. Held in Quirino grand stand in Luneta, it’s a whole day affair. During the briefing she explained that we are in-charge of the food and water station/booth and that 2, 500 kids registered to come, plus some walk-ins. I’m quite thrilled with the idea of volunteering but I don’t know exactly what to expect and how to actually help. Plus it’s even more exciting coz I’m gonna be surrounded with familiar people, my IRRI friends and colleagues will volunteer also.

Then Saturday came, two coasters were provided for us, I took the one that waits in Jollibee Crossing coz I want to have breakfast first. I’m the first in Jollibee then came Donald, then Annie after awhile one by one people for coaster 1 are coming, though I really don’t have an idea who were the passengers of coaster 1. After breakfast and CR to dos the coaster arrived, on time…but two Denis are still on the way and they are both on this coaster also, so we waited for them. Dennis Tuyogon arrived and Denis Maco said he’ll just catch up in OP and so we move to OP. After just a few minutes Maya and Denis arrived and then after checking for space from the two coasters, off we go to the next waiting point in Halang but nobody there….and we keep moving till SLEX Total station for take outs of breakfast. Not long after, here we are in Quirino grandstand, there’s a fiesta mood in the area. So many booths ranging from fun activities to medical assistance to food booth and a center stage with huge speaker. There’s also a portion where we purchase our event’s shirt, I got red small shirt as souvenir of the festival. But before we went around and bought stuff we first registered and get our volunteer’s ID, like it, written on the ID is the event’s title, my name “Mary Burac” and the big sign that says VOLUNTEER! Felt so proud wearing it, I don’t know, I just feel like I’m into something wearing that…hehe. Then the organizer and also Kate led us to our booth and introduced us to the organizing committee in-charge of the food and water booth volunteers. After some instructions we divided our groups into two for there are two booths assigned for food and water. The instruction was we should asked the kids first to wash their hands before getting the food and they placed two washing areas plus four hand sanitizers so what we did was we assigned from among us four people to do that, two person to ask them to line up then about six people in-charge of the food distribution and removing their claim tags.

In the AM snack we distributed two boiled banana and a hotdog sandwich plus water for each kid. Then for lunch we had chicken, rice, ripe banana and water. But unfortunately the food for lunch was not enough for everyone, so we waited for the next batch of food but it didn’t arrive until almost 2PM so one brilliant idea from the group is to chip-in and buy at least burgers for those who wasn’t able to eat lunch. And for that we were the favorite volunteer group…hehe. After the distribution of lunch, we then go to the stage to be the crowd controller. And while doing that, we also watched the performance of the kids. They’re so good, the performance ranges from dancing, singing, and skit. Some were so funny, others were so touching…there was even one performance were I’m keeping my tears from falling. Then after our stint as volunteer we went first to MOA for some strolling in the mall before we went back to LB. It was a day full of fun and a truly wonderful experience. I hope to be able to do such things more in the future.

Ako, 21 November 2010

No comments: