Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Teatime stories of Mary

My friend Crisel gave me a book last Christmas 2003. I love this book and every time I like a story I made sure I put my very own short stories or comments in it. Then when I finished reading, I lend it to friends on the request that they should put their very own stories also…sort of my own collection. And since I already have a blog I wanted to share mine and my friends stories…my sort of Teatime Stories of Mary =) I hope you’ll enjoy reading!

Teatime Stories for Women
Collection of short stories as refreshment and inspiration to warm your heart

Crisel's note

Mary Pie,
Like a cup of tea, your presence comforts, inspires and energizes me. At times when I feel so low, you’re one of the blessings I’d count, just to keep my hopes up. May you always remember me through this book. Thank you so much for the friendship. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May the New Year be the realization of your hearts desires.
Love,
Crisel

I'll start with my favorite story from the book…simply because her name is Mary

A Ray of Sunshine by Cindy Heflin
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17

I sat in silence by the kitchen window as another autumn morning began. The damp and dreary scene outside mirrored the heavy clouds that had covered me for weeks. Sipping a steaming cup of tea, I scanned the overcast skies, searching for a glimpse of sunshine. While my children slept, I lingered alone, deep in thought. Though I longed to feel the warmth of God’s presence, my hot cup of tea did little to change the climate of my heart. I whispered a prayer asking God for help and a ray of sunshine to break through the clouds of my despair.

Though several weeks had passed, it seemed like the car accident had happened only yesterday. The ophthalmology report that followed now overshadowed my life and slammed the brakes on my independence. My doctor’s painful announcement echoed in my mind, “Vision severely deteriorated…..never drive again.” It crushed me to face my visual limitations and the certainty of gradual blindness.

Suddenly the children’s playful voices suspended my thoughts and signaled the start of another busy day. I muddled through a typical morning of breakfast, laundry, and Play-Doh, struggling to understand, “Why did God allow this to happen?” Although overcome with despair and anxiety, I knew He would take care of my needs, but how?

My husband frequently traveled out of town on business for days, sometimes weeks at a time. With two young daughters to care for, my days were filled with trips to the supermarket, the preschool, and the doctor’s office. I enjoyed being independent and self-sufficient. I felt uncomfortable asking for help, unwilling to be a burden or to depend on others. The challenges of my new limitations overwhelmed me. Even with God’s help, it seemed impossible to cope with this sudden change in my life.

The telephone rang as I collapsed onto the sofa, weary from a long afternoon. To my surprise, the friendly caller was Mary (there I am), a young mom from our church (hmmmmmmmm I have kids?). Despite our mutual friends, we had never met. With compassion, she expressed her concern for me and for my family. Gently (I’m not like that often) she offered, “You know….I’m always out with my children. I’d really love the company if you ever need a ride.” (not so like me, firstly, I don’t drive then the manner of asking…amazing Mary)

Tears trickled down my cheeks as she suggested that she come by and pick us up one day each week to run errands! As I hung up the phone, my heart filled with amazement and gratitude. God had heard my prayer, and He had faithfully answered! After supper, baths, and bedtime stories, I kissed my girls goodnight with a new sense of peace in my heart. Exhausted, I fell into bed, thanking the Lord for His provision.

Mary arrived promptly the next afternoon. Her bright smile and cheerful nature were as sunny as the buttercup-colored sedan she drove (WOW! like that description of me). Each Tuesday at noon, we strapped the children into their car seats; confirmed an ample supply of diapers, toys, and snacks; and set out for an afternoon on the road. Soon, I realized traveling with Mary was more than just a trip to the post office, bank, or grocery store – it was FUN! (NICE!) She entertained the children with games and songs as we made our rounds “all through the town”. Her joy and laughter were good medicine for my weary soul (wish I can be like that).

A day with Mary was always delightful and optimistic, lifting my spirits with lively conversation (Aha! Aha!). Discussion often centered on our faith in Christ as she encouraged me to seek Him for the strength to overcome my trials. On difficult days, she assured me that with God, all things are possible (WOW! Amazing Mary!)!

The warm breezes and welcome sunshine of spring revealed a renewed hope in my spirit. In addition to our weekly trek, Mary often invited us along to the playground, to the park for a picnic, to “Mommy and me” day at the YMCA, and even for a day trip out of town (hahaha…so me!)! It meant so much to me to once again enjoy these simple pleasures with my daughters! My despair diminished, and my faith grew stronger as I learned to focus on the Lord’s faithfulness and compassion. During my darkest days, He sent me a cherished friend to lighten my burdens and bless me in many ways (hmmmmmmmmm).

The Lord’s faithful provision for my needs was more than I ever could have imagined. The generosity and spiritual encouragement I received from Mary and other caring friends has taught me the powerful impact of reaching out to others. This motivates me to follow their example. For I know that sharing God’s hope with others is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day! (Did I just saw you nod? It's so me right?)

* from the book Teatime Stories for Women, compiled by Linda Evans Shepherd*

now my collections: God's provision, Journey, Explore, Sowing, Love Rule, A Gift, In His Time, Till Death Do Us Part, Independence, Friends for Eternity, Babols, Best Dress, Amen, And the last

No comments: