Losing Her by Sue Cameron
Shared by Darlene, 30 September 2006
I left home at 16…excited about my “independence”. I was full of dreams – I was about to study in one of the best school in the country (my Mama’s alma mater), training to become a scientist someday (like Mama).
For a brief period, I had second thoughts of leaving home, my comfort zone, where I knew everybody and my way around. I would miss my family and old friends – most of them I have known since kindergarten. But my parents decided that my future matters a lot. Sacrifice had to be made.
My family was with me – literally when I moved. They helped me get settled. Mama introduced me to her friends. She accompanied me during registration. Papa bought me new furniture, a bed, study table, and chair, and an electric fan. They helped me open a bank account. They made sure I would be okay when they left.
I was amazed by how “cool” they were about everything. It was as if they were ready for this all along – not really! The day they were about to leave for home, Papa hugged me and he cried….hard…as if saying goodbye on behalf of the family and that they will miss me. I cried too knowing that I won’t see them often anymore. My brother and sisters gave me letters full of advice and encouragement. I love them and I miss them. They were and still are my motivation to do well.
Shared by Darlene, 30 September 2006
I left home at 16…excited about my “independence”. I was full of dreams – I was about to study in one of the best school in the country (my Mama’s alma mater), training to become a scientist someday (like Mama).
For a brief period, I had second thoughts of leaving home, my comfort zone, where I knew everybody and my way around. I would miss my family and old friends – most of them I have known since kindergarten. But my parents decided that my future matters a lot. Sacrifice had to be made.
My family was with me – literally when I moved. They helped me get settled. Mama introduced me to her friends. She accompanied me during registration. Papa bought me new furniture, a bed, study table, and chair, and an electric fan. They helped me open a bank account. They made sure I would be okay when they left.
I was amazed by how “cool” they were about everything. It was as if they were ready for this all along – not really! The day they were about to leave for home, Papa hugged me and he cried….hard…as if saying goodbye on behalf of the family and that they will miss me. I cried too knowing that I won’t see them often anymore. My brother and sisters gave me letters full of advice and encouragement. I love them and I miss them. They were and still are my motivation to do well.
1 comment:
i didn't know Darl and her family is this sweet!
Post a Comment