Saturday, September 3, 2011

On Being a friend of a broken hearted


We humans have this tendency of magnifying our situations. Blowing up to the maximum intensification that it’s going to be so clear, so focus and making it appear as if it’s the only thing that matters or real. It’s as if our situation is unique and everyone who could not empathize don’t understand us. One doesn’t understand because she’s never been through that, no first hand experience. Then after that we would conclude that that someone is not concern, she’s just angry at us. She doesn't know how hard or what I’m really going through. 

That’s me according to a friend who’s undergoing a broken heart. I may not fully comprehend how painful it is to end a relationship coz I haven’t been there. But that doesn’t mean I don’t empathize, I don’t care, I don’t know, yeah that I just don’t know. I’m still human, even if I haven’t  been into a break-up, I still have emotions, make me qualified to understand what a friend is going through. And when I’m telling a friend to let go, to move on, to go on with their lives, to make them see reality doesn’t mean I’m neglecting their painful process. That I can only say those words coz I don’t know how hard it is. My advice is superficial or I’m just being harsh. It’s hard sometimes to be a friend...maybe I just shut-up. And since I don’t know what they already know then I just let them be. Suffer for their own doing. I just listen to their situation in cycle and let them decide for themselves when to go out of it. Just let them go round and round...that perhaps,  is what a good friend should do. If ask for advice, I just zip my lips, keep quiet, coz mine is not a valid opinion, never been there, no valid emotion. I haven’t been to a relationship, that’s why I don’t feel you, can’t relate, I don’t have feelings, never been hurt, I don’t get you, I don’t understand.

Hayz! Why am I harsh?!

Ako, 16 August 2011

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

natawa ako dito..this is soooo true..probably a defense mechanism or easy way out if cornered of a mistake...but EVERYONE has to drop that cliche of "you don't understand because you are not me" or "bcoz you are not in my situation" etc etc..it is very annoying..hehehe