Second meeting of the gorgeous professionals women’s group. Tonight made me excited and look forward to the second Tuesday of the next month. It’s another women’s meeting. I’m so glad I spend my precious time with Jenny, Karen, Myla, Liza, Merc, Che, Mara and Rhea. I missed the others though. If the last time was a night of ice breakers, tonight was all about trivia and words.
We started with guessing the phrase according to word structure or how it is written, here’s an example coz I cannot fully explain it:
Give Get
Give Get
Give Get
Give Get
...and the answer is forgive and forget.
Then followed by tongue twister..and this is my favorite:
Mary Mac’x mother’s making Mary Mac marry me. My mother’s making me marry Mary Mac. Will I always be so merry when Mary’s taking care of me? Will I always be so merry when I marry Mary mac?
...still figuring out why this is my favorite =P!!!
And since we have two new lovely ladies, Jenny asked each one to introduce ourselves plus give a short description of what we do. I started with just plain “I’m Mary, I work in IRRI.” Though it rhymed, my introduction is nothing compared to the rest....here it goes...
I’m Mara, I work in PhilChema as an animal nutritionist and my job mainly is advertising to the farmer about our product. Then she started the trivia for the night...she said that little pigs (piglets that is) like feeds with butterscotch (yum, reminds me of Iloilo) and the grown up pigs like feeds with cherry flavor. Retchel followed by saying just call me Che, she’s not working yet, coz she’s waiting for the result of the Nursing board exam. She’s still a bit shy that’s why we did not get to have a trivia from her. We moved to Myla from IRRI whose job is about DNA extraction of rice. Then moved to Merc whose now working with Kuya Paul’s preaching manual on “Renewing the mind” and her trivia was our brain is expanding, and she liken the mind to a tree, the good thoughts make up the green leaves and the brown leaves are the bad thoughts and both of them occupies space..if we want to get away with the brown leaves we need some rewiring, probably electrocute the brown so it would become green after. She also said that it’s not true that we cannot teach an old dog a new tricks coz as we grow older we get wiser, and we even get wiser if we cultivate our mind...to use it fully in it’s so amazing capacity to absorb. Therefore she said as the book said all of us are genius. We then move to Karen shes an instructor in EE (Electrical Engineering) her trivia is that the lightning is 3 km away from you if you’re hair is already static. Another trivia is that when you plug or unplug an outlet you should put up your one foot so that the flow of electricity is not too much. Then Rhea’s turn, she said she’s an ex-researcher of MAGIC and it stands for something but I’m not listening well so I wasn’t able to get it. Her trivia is mostly about genes but I kinda forget where I store it in my brain (too much expansion, it went out on my ears probably), although I can remember she shared about a study she read about twins who didn’t grew up together, they tend to be super alike. According to the study, everyone tends to be unique, even twins, so the tendency if they grew up together is to be different from each other, to have your own identity. She also said an intriguing report that in the future men will be extinct due to the Y chromosomes scarcity....we also conclude that maybe the reason why there’s so many gays in this generation than before. She also said that it’s possible that after a mother gave birth to three sons the third one would most likely be gay. It’s actually affected by the mother’s wanting to have a girl. So being gay is actually genes plus environment. Merc then added that even with being genius, environment play a major major role...some kids are expose early to this, that’s why even in young age they tend to be genius already. According to her the switches were turned on early...so it’s not all about genes, it’s also about the environment. After loosing a lot of blood on that (nosebleed =P that is) we then go to Liza, a Math instructor (Oh no, nosebleed again!). But we already warned her, no mathematical expression please. She then had a trivia about one came first and not zero, actually there’s no zero before, zero came out just to represent something in an equation. A certain man (forgot whether it’s Archimedes or not) got killed in the war because he was trying to solve a mathematical expression probably an attack strategy. Then last trivia came from Jenny who works in a pharmaceutical company. She asked with french fries as an illustration, one big, one small fries....let say both of them are paracetamol, 500 mg, same component..then she asked which one is more effective in curing us? We chose the big one but she said both are OK whether small or big, they have the same content anyway. The size is just the coating or the bread-crumbs but the core compound is the same but it’s better to use the small ones because the bigger tablets means more coating that can affect the liver more than the small ones.
That’s just the introduction we then moved to the topic...another interactive, spontaneous conversation, she passed around a piece of paper. Two columns of words with heading Check and Cross, she explained that Check means “YES” to whatever is the word and Cross means ”NO” to the opposite then site an experience or say something about it. She based this talk to the book she’s currently reading. I am not listening again so I didn’t get to get the title of the book (I’ll just asked her next meeting). Here’s the words and the things we cited that I remembered:
Solid solution (/) Quick fixes (X) ...... engggggggggggg nothing here =(
Risk taking (/) Risk avoiding (X)....we agreed that this should be calculated risk and it depends on the company or institution you are connected coz if you always want to take risk it will also involved lost of resources.
Applied creativity (/) Mindless conformity (X).... hmmmmmmm where am I?
Decisive action (/) Paralysis by analysis(X) .....some trivia like answer we got from a nurse to be, Che said that this is an SOP for medical staff, if the hospital is on fire they will secure first the patients who need less assistance than the once that's already in the ICU. Quite hard to think but it's practical.
Smart work (/) Busywork (X).... it’s actually about prioritizing your work...here I shared to them my two other citizenship; one is Urgentinian (Urgent work) and the other Rushian (Rush work) I know this portion well coz I was the one who shared about this hehe..I told them in my case since I have more than 1 boss...whoever’s deadline is nearer that’s what I do first.
Simplification (/) Needless complication (X).... this is too much, I should have written it before, now I also forgot about this =(
Quietly effective (/) Squeaking joints (X)....especially for team work, if you cannot contribute much and just want to talk and talk then just don’t do the work, you’ll help others by being quiet and let them do the work instead
Quality work (/) Fast work (X)...it’s always always better to do a quality work, so one should plan everything, not cramming, not last minute work even if you are a crammer or you can do better when you’re cramming...one should really give time for a good thought on your work. Nothing beats quality.
Loyalty (/) Turnover(X)....Jenny cite an instance were one friend or colleague ask “when is the best time to leave your work or company?”, the answer she got was “when you’ve already exhausted everything there is to learn and you already gave everything there is to give.” When you can say, I’m done here already!
Working together (/) Working against(X)...obviously this is team work...one man can do something but a team can do a lot of things specially if they are working together.
Sorry I wasn’t able to note the important stuff...but i’ll try to edit this someday, when I borrowed Jenny’s book...hehe
Ako, 9 August 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment