Friday, June 24, 2011

I’m next

I had an amazing dinner with a sweet sister from church. She’s been a friend ever since I joined Sound of His Voice Ministry, the ministry changed names already (now Destiny Ministries International) and happy that we’re friends still. When she left for Japan, we didn’t have constant communication but I get to hear news from her thru our common friends. When she went back to LB, we got the chance to be together again in the professional’s group, then from the big group of the professionals to the small community of IRRI life group. She’s the youngest in our cell of single ladies from DMI….me, Donna, Merc, Jewel and her, Emma. We are sisters, bond by faith and by our being pillars in church….hehe the oldies =P. There’s this one common also among us, we are single and couldn’t find our match in our small community, yet we are hopefuls. One time a pastor’s wife prayed for us…she specifically pray for our lovelife…coz she kept on hearing us teasing each other “sana naman next time, hindi na tayo tayo lang.” Prayer is just so powerful….it in deed availeth much!

From that prayer, we parted ways, Jewel is in Manila, Donna went out of the country, Emma and I are still here in LB while Merc since she’s not considering a mate so I will not include her anymore on the prayer’s claimers =P. Jewel as I heard from Emma is now into family life, pregnant as of the last time they saw each other. Donna who went to the US to explore her future there, is now married just saw it in FB. Then Emma… here is her story…as told by her =)

I attended the DMI church again (after I left for Japan) in July 2009 when I started to work for the World Agroforestry Center. I also joined the professional’s group, which that time was being led by RJ. So I just know him by face and name, but we were not friends.

In May 2010, I learned that he already left to work in Singapore. I said to myself, “too bad, I did not even have a chance to get to know him!” I was thinking that he could have been a good friend because he seemed very nice and kind.

In August that same year, I was surprised to find out he was back in the Philippines. I learned that he was just waiting for the approval of his working pass, so he was able to go back for a month. His friend, Tram, invited me one time to have lunch with IRRI life group mates, together with RJ (emphasis mine). I of course said yes, only to find out that that lunch involved only the three of us: Tram, RJ and I because Mary was not able to join us. Later that week, Tram asked me to watch a movie again with RJ, which I willingly agreed to. The week after, it was RJ who texted me to ask if I am free for coffee one afternoon after office hours. I thought it will still be the three of us, but to my wonder, it was only him that I’m supposed to have coffee with. He then asked me if I was speculating why Tram kept on asking me to meet up together with him. I said, “not really!” because never did it occur to me that those times mean something else. He then said that he wants to know me, however, he’s leaving for Singapore the next day. I told him I’m not really good with long distance communication because I prefer the old fashioned way of knowing another person: by spending time with him/her face to face. But I said I will just try and see where the ride will take us.

September came, the month of my birthday. Tram asked for my office address so I speculated that RJ must have been planning something for me. I filed a leave that day, but then my officemate informed me that I have a package. I didn’t want to go back to the office that day and later that week, I have a scheduled trip. My officemate, Mags, volunteered to bring the box to me. We met in grove after office hours and opened the box. And guess what? Two dozen long-stemmed red roses and a card with no name were inside. He later called that night and I immediately said to him, “you sent the roses right? Why did you not put your name in the card?” RJ thought that I did not appreciate his gift, but I did! Well actually, just a little bit…     

Later that year, we seldom met over the internet because I was always on trip with a very hectic work schedule. We were only able to chat like once or twice a month and during those times, we were not really able to talk about anything much because he’s the kind of man with few words.

December passed by quickly, and he came back to take a holiday break here. We met a day before he left for Davao (he’s originally from Davao), watched a movie then talked over dinner. He said that he was having difficulty with our communication because we didn’t really talk that much. I said that if it was difficult for him, it was also very difficult for me so I just told him that it will be better for us to just separate ways. I told him to just pursue another girl, who’s also in Singapore, instead. That will be more practical. But he did not give up easily. He told me to give him another month, so that we can both pray about it. I agreed and said to myself that it is about time that I should also start praying for him, too! Because he seemed so focused and determined in his intention for me.

January 2011, I joined the DMI-wide prayer and fasting for 10 days. I am not really praying specifically about RJ that time. What I am praying for is all about what I wanted to accomplish in my work. Second day of fasting, our pastor was sharing something about Jesus being born in a manger. At that time, no one ever really thought that He is in fact the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Suddenly, I was reminded of RJ and I felt that God is telling me that I don’t know who RJ really is, and what he is capable of. (It is not that he is not a great person as he currently is. It is just that the time that RJ was courting me, there was also another guy courting me whom I practically prefer over RJ because he’s older than me, a good conversationalist, and he’s also from my home town, in Santa Cruz, Laguna. So if I have to choose between him and RJ, I would rather choose him over RJ because of all the practical reasons!) But at this time, I was really stunned! What more can I say when it is God who’s already dealing with me? RJ must really be a very special man. At the end of the fasting, RJ and I got the chance to chat. He then invited me to come to Singapore in February so we can finally talk. I asked him if he is already ready to talk and face me again. He said YES with a big smiley icon in yahoo messenger. That night, I was not really able to sleep. I became open to the possibility that RJ and I could be a couple. We could work out as a match!      

I was initially excited to fly to Singapore and see RJ, but then as the weeks passed by, my enthusiasm died down. Many questions popped out in my mind: what will our church mates in Singapore say if they find out that I was there just to be with RJ? And I am the girl here, and quite a conservative one. Why would I have to be the one flying to Singapore just to meet him? Why can’t he just come back here so we can talk? There were so many unanswered questions! (Except the last one because he told me he did not have any more leave credits so it was impossible for him to go back home that February. I told him we can meet in April, because I know that he will be attending Tram’s wedding in Davao. He said, “April is too long! I don’t want to waste time anymore”).

I sought for the counsel of our pastors and church mates if it is really okay for me to go to Singapore. All of them gave their blessing. So I finally decided to go. There were some challenges along the way.  It was like going to Singapore is actually a battle between going or not going there. There were some difficulties in finalizing my schedule because I have a workshop before and immediately right after the trip.  It was only going to be a 3-day trip and I was thinking that it will just be too tiring for me! Two weeks before my flight, I was sick with dizziness and nausea. There is no way I will go to Singapore if I was not feeling well. Anyway, I got better during the week of my trip, so finally going to Singapore won the battle! I did’nt know what to expect and what will happen. I was both excited and nervous at the same time with this trip…         

RJ arranged for the entirety of my trip. I was really overwhelmed because of his extravagant efforts in making everything special for me. Our dinner in the Jewel Box, i.e., dinner inside the cable car, was very magical. I felt being enveloped by his great love (it was like I can literally feel love is surrounding me all the time I was there). He told me that he was now 100% sure that I'm the one for him because all the signs that He asked from God came true. He can already see us having our family together. He asked me if i can be his girlfriend. I told him we'll just talk again when we see each other in April because that time, I was caught unprepared.

April came and he went back in the Philippines. We saw each other in Davao, a night before Tram’s wedding and talked about us. It was then that we officially became a couple. During the wedding, he already introduced me to everyone that I’m his girl. After the festivities, while we were waiting for our vans to fetch us, our pastor announced that we are a new couple. Everybody there were very excited and other couples started taking pictures with us. It was such a wonderful night, and I told the newlyweds that we were sorry if we stole the limelight from them. They told us it was okay and that they were also very happy to share their special moment with us. I was able to meet his family after the wedding, and RJ also met my Mom that time because she flew to Davao to join me for our holy week vacation. Everything went really well and got the blessings from both of our Moms (I think!).

God is so good and awesome! I never ever gave up hope that I will still find my perfect will and God did not give up on me! He gave me RJ in a time that I did not really expect. He's the perfect matchmaker! RJ and I are alike in so many ways, especially when it comes to our values and desires. I also discovered that he has all the qualities that I ever wanted and needed in a man especially his maturity and outlook in life. I'm still amazed on how He worked out everything impeccably for us to be soulmates! Everything fell into place at the perfect time.

Thanks Ems for sharing your story….God willing..I’m next!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ate. you are next!

ruvicyn said...

super like

May said...

i super like this!!

i like the fact that he pursues her! make his intentions known and CLEAR!

the story is truly inspiring..i love it that both prayed for everything, & heed GOD's directions. I think this is the most important component of discerning.

i hope for them the best ;D

september_leigh said...

sa wakas, nabasa ko rin...:)
Ang saya naman! sana sa next blog mo, love story mo nmn te! :-)apir!:D

Marya said...

Sonia: Nabasa ko din lovelife nung friend mo...Galing, si Lord talaga ang nag-ayos ng lahat kahit thy're far from each other